Saturday, April 3, 2021

Welcoming Della

I just discovered this blog post that I never actually posted. It has been sitting as a draft in here for a long while. Now that Della is nearing 1.5 years in age, it is probably time to publish...



It is time for a birth story! Please stop reading if you did not come to read a birth story.

Let's start at the beginning. I woke up on Friday morning, 12/27 feeling GROSS. The night before, about an hour before going to bed I had four really strong-feeling contractions. I thought I would go to sleep and be woken up a few hours later by labor. But, then I woke up in the morning--not to contractions. It was disappointing. My body hurt. I was nauseated. I was feeling so over it. I was exactly 39 weeks pregnant and had an OB appointment that morning.

I met my mother in law at the library and dropped Ezra off with her while I hopped over to my OB appointment. In my appointment my OB informed me that I was dilated about 2 cm, which was not much of anything from my 1.5 cm the week before. She thought she could get a good membrane strip in at 2 cm and I said "YES PLEASE." It wasn't painful at all, just a bit uncomfortable. I was bracing myself for pain-unto-tears, which is why I asked my mother in law to watch Ezra! I left the appointment hoping that it was going to make a difference.



We went through our day and I still felt lousy. Around 3:30 I took Ezra with me to Urgent Care, because I was pretty sure I had a little ear infection (which I did.) While we were sitting there waiting, I started to pay attention to the cramping feelings I was getting every several minutes. When we got back to see the doctor and we were discussing what types of medicines I could take pregnant I said "Well, I might be in labor, like, right now, so could I pick this prescription up in a couple of days?"

As we left Urgent Care, I pulled up my contraction app timer on my phone and started to time contractions on the drive home. About 6 minutes apart, 30 seconds. It was around 5:00 pm. Kyle had worked from home that day, so when I got home I told him I thought maybe this was the real deal. I made some dinner and told Kyle I wanted to head to the gym to walk on the treadmill. They kept coming and I felt pretty confident they weren't going to stop! Kyle dropped me off at the gym and I started walking. Except, it had the opposite effect than what I intended. Contractions started to slow down. They became more inconsistent. They got further apart. 8 minutes now, on average. Generally 12 minutes and then two about 5 minutes apart, then 10 minutes and so forth. I got back home and we put Ezra to bed. They really started to slow down then. Fifteen minutes apart, twelve minutes apart lasting only 15-20 seconds. I started to feel a little discouraged, I had really thought it was happening this time. I had texted my mother in law to let her know we might need her to come be with Ezra in a few hours. False labor? Up to this point, besides a few deep breaths, my contractions hadn't stopped what I was doing at all. I didn't stop what I was doing. I was walking on a treadmill and putting my baby to bed. Only once Ezra noticed I had closed my eyes and started breathing heavier and said "Hey, mama, what do you feel?"



We turned on a TV show and I laid on the couch. I decided if I was in labor, I should take advantage of the timing in between the contractions and try to get some sleep. I texted my mother in law and let her know things had really slowed down and I didn't expect we would be heading to the hospital anytime soon. It was about 8:30 pm. The contractions were around 25 minutes apart. I closed my eyes and started to drift off.

I was stirred by a strong contraction, waking me up sufficiently from my couch-snooze. I got up to go to the bathroom, because, pregnancy. While in the bathroom I had anther contraction, but during this one I started to make some of those deep guttural labor moaning sounds that you only hear come from a female when they are in labor. Kyle called out "Are you okay?" I did not reply. I came out of the bathroom, another contraction--deep labor moans. Kyle, suddenly very aware of me, asks "Should we go to the hospital?" "Yes..." It was around 9:15.

From my best estimation I went from early labor to late-active labor/transition in the matter of an hour, from 25 minute apart contractions to 3 minute apart unable to speak or focus contractions. Kyle's mom got to us around 9:30/9:45. I called my OB office to let them know I was heading into the hospital. I was patched over to the on-call dr, whom I have never met before. She answered the phone and said "So, you think you're in labor?" I could barely speak between contractions, so when I got a chance to answer, I barked out, pretty rudely something like: "I don't think I am in labor, I AM in labor. I am leaving for the hospital, let them know I am coming. Goodbye." (This doctor rounded on me the next day, after Della was born, and I apologized to her haha)


We left for the hospital and arrived just about 10:00 pm on the nose. They brought me into triage and I promptly puked my guts out. Five years of marriage and that was the first time Kyle has ever seen me throw up. Glamorous. I had been nauseous all day, so I expected this to happen. The nurse checked me and I was at a 6/7. She asked if I wanted an epidural and I said "No."

She left the room to go get do something, I am not sure what. Kyle gave me a blessing. When he finished I said that I wanted to get an epidural. I was very keen on my natural delivery and prepared with a whole gambit of labor techniques and mantras and relaxation methods. I had told Kyle many times that there would come a point where I would say I wanted an epidural and he HAD TO BE THE ONE to talk me off the ledge. When I said I wanted the epidural, he didn't deny me, he just looked at me with a "What do you want me to do here!?" kind of a look. I had a very sudden, but profound moment of clarity. I said "Look, I am not having a contraction right now. I am not in pain. I am saying this with a clear mind. I just realized, I want to enjoy this process. I want this to be a good experience that I can look back on with joy. So, I think it would be best to get an epidural."

The nurse came back and I told her I had changed my mind and would like an epidural. She moved us over to our delivery room, from triage, and said she would go find the anesthesiologist. My contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and I was FEELING THEM. Yowza. It was about 11:00 pm or so when we got moved into the room, all my iv's and what not had been placed. I was sitting bolt upright in the bed with each contraction. That is the only way my body felt it could handle those contractions. They had me hooked up to all the monitors, trying to get a read on baby and I and wanted me to lay down. But, I just couldn't. I was dilated 8/9 cm.

At about 11:30 pm the anesthesiologist came in and we got the epidural placed. This is not a quick thing. Around midnight, I had the epidural in and medicine had started flowing. It became apparent rather quickly that the medicine was not getting to my left side (the same thing happened with Ezra!) The anesthesiologist actually ended up staying through my whole delivery, trying to get that medicine dosage and right, but it just didn't end up happening. It worked great on my right side and back, but I still felt those full contractions through my left hip, front left lower stomach and front of my left leg.


The relief of the epidural though, and the support that I felt from the nurses and anesthesiologist were enough! I was in much better spirits and while I couldn't talk and groan-moaned through each contraction still, I felt happy and chatted a bit with everyone between contractions. Additionally, when all that was happening, I found out my OB, who hadn't been on call that night, heard I was there and decided to come over. It made me feel appreciated and supported. I was so grateful for that effort she did not have to make!

My OB got there at 12:00, which is about when the epidural had gotten placed. I told them at that point I was feeling that pressure and it was probably time to push soon. I had learned with Ezra though, that just because I felt SOME need to push did not mean it was TIME to push yet. I would've saved myself a lot of grief and time if I hadn't started pushing so soon, with Ezra. So, they checked me and sure enough I was almost there. My OB said probably another contraction or two. After about three or four I said I was ready to push.  Tacy, my nurse took my right leg and Kyle took my left. It was at this point (probably should have mentioned it earlier, but I was a bit distracted) that I said "I want to make sure we delay that cord clamping." My OB and nurse both confirmed. I had a contraction and gave two pushes. I felt her crowning, but because of the epidural, it was not painful. My OB kept saying things like "You are doing so so great. You can do this." My OB said I could wait for the next contraction or keep pushing. I waited for the next contraction and gave two more pushes and then they placed a slimy little baby on my stomach. It was 12:37 am, just two and a half hours since arriving at the hospital! And only really 3-4 hours since active labor had started.




Since I had asked for delayed cord clamping, I couldn't pull her up to my chest yet, because the cord wasn't long enough. She gave a couple little cries and then just snuggled quietly. She turned pink quickly. The first thing I asked when she was born was "It is a girl, right??" Even after several ultrasounds, I needed to see to believe! After a few minutes, Kyle cut the cord and I pulled her up onto my chest. I had a small tear and my OB placed a few stitches. Della was calm and quiet. She started to nurse immediately and did great. She is a little tree frog and will pull those tiny newborn chicken legs up under her sides immediately and instinctively when laying on your chest. We lover her so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment